Easy Read Panel
This page has information about our service for people who have serious, urgent problems with their teeth.
It includes the times we are open and how to contact us.
About Emergency Treatment
Emergency dental treatment is provided by our Oral Diagnosis Clinic (which used to be called the Dental A&E Department). The clinic offers emergency treatment for patients with acute/serious mouth or dental problems. It is also able to treat a limited number of patients with toothache
The doors open from 8.15 am - 5pm (except on weekends and public holidays).
The patients we can see at the clinic are:
- Patients with mouth or dental problems requiring emergency treatment
- The following groups of patients are accepted for emergency dental treatment
- Patients who have suffered trauma to their teeth/mouth as a result of an accident or injury
- Patients with a swelling of the face/jaws (e.g. due to a dental abscess)
- Patients who have bleeding from their mouth (e.g. following removal of a tooth)
- Patients with toothache who have serious medical conditions or disabilities that prevent them being treated by dentists outside the hospital.
- Patients who have severe or persistent ulceration of the mouth
Patients with toothache or other dental problems
- The Oral Diagnosis Clinic is able to treat a limited number of patients with toothache
- The number of patients seen with toothache depends on the availability of senior students and dentists
- Patients seen in the clinic with toothache are usually given an appointment time for treatment, which may be on another day
- The Oral Diagnosis Clinic is not able to treat patients who have lost fillings, dentures or crowns
Other emergency options
- If you are currently undergoing treatment with your own dentist, please contact your dentist, who is obliged to provide you with access to emergency dental care
- Contact Healthwatch Liverpool on Tel: 0300 77 77 007 for information or help to find the services that are right for you. (Calls cost the same as a local landline number and they will call you back to keep your bill down)
- Out of hours emergency cover for patients already being treated at the Dental Hospital
If you are registered and currently being treated at the Dental Hospital and you experience any urgent post-operative difficulty after 5 pm or at weekends or public holidays, an on-call dentist is available to give advice and provide emergency treatment.
Please telephone 0151 706 2000 and ask to be put through to the emergency nurse practitioner on extension 2056. You should then state that you have been receiving treatment at the Dental Hospital and need to contact the on-call dentist for urgent advice and/or treatment.